Hospitality management is an ever-growing field that offers countless career paths. If you’re looking to get ahead in your career and break into a new industry, then a hospitality management degree may be right for you. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, job growth in the hospitality industry is projected to grow 16 percent from 2016 through 2026.
This is especially good news for those who have a background or passion for hotel operations, guest services, and front desk work. Whether you plan on working as a manager or a front desk attendant, there are many benefits that come with having an internship or college course in hospitality management.
Hospitality Management Degrees: What You Need to Know
Before you can decide on what degree to pursue in the hospitality management field, you will need to know a lot more about the industry. The hospitality management field has a lot more to it than just managing hotels. The industry also involves a lot of food service and restaurant work. You can work in the industry in a variety o
- Front desk manager – Responsible for managing guests as well as the operations of the hotel/resort. Front desk managers are often tasked with managing reservations, managing guest relations, and handling complaints.
- Executive chef – Create menus, assign responsibilities to staff members, and manage all aspects of the kitchen.
- Food and beverage manager – Responsible for purchasing, inventories, and all aspects of the beverage and food service, including inventory management and pricing.
- Sales and marketing manager – Responsible for driving revenue through marketing and public relations initiatives. Manage the sales team and create a successful sales and marketing strategy.
Why Get a Degree in Hospitality Management?
One of the biggest advantages of a degree in hospitality management is the ability to find a job in a field that is constantly growing. If you choose to pursue a degree, you’ll have a much easier time finding a job once you’ve graduated, as employers will be more interested in hiring you.
Furthermore, a degree in hospitality management opens the door to a level of career advancement that isn’t available to individuals without one. Some of the main reasons you’ll want to get a degree in hospitality management include:
- Career advancement – A degree in hospitality management can open many more doors for you. You can get more experience with top-rated employers and learn from the most experienced managers.
- Salary – Depending on your employer, you can make more money by getting a degree in hospitality management. You’ll be able to move up the ladder a lot faster than you ever would if you just had your high school diploma.
- Future job prospects – A degree in hospitality management shows that you have the skills that employers need in order to grow the industry, which means the field will continue to be in high demand.
What are the types of Hospitality Management Degrees?
When it comes to what type of degree you should pursue, there are a few different options. One type of degree that you may be interested in is a general degree in hotel/resort management. There are also hospitality management degrees that are focused more on specific areas of the industry, such as restaurant management. Here are the more common types of hospitality management degrees:
- Hotel/resort management – This is the most common type of degree for those who want to work in the hospitality industry. You can work in many different areas of this industry, such as sales and marketing, finance, and operations.
- Restaurant management – Those who want to work in the restaurant industry may want a degree that is more focused on managing restaurants than managing hotels.
- Convention and travel management – This type of degree is ideal for those who want to work in the growing industry of convention and tourism management.
How do Hospitality Management Degrees Help you in your Career?
Learn the Core Concepts Before you Graduate
If you’re planning on pursuing a hospitality management degree, you need to make sure that you get a thorough understanding of the core concepts before you leave for school. You’ll want to make sure that you challenge yourself by learning more than just the textbook.
There are many online resources, including Mastering Hospitality Administration, that can help you learn more about the industry and how it works. By taking the time to understand the core concepts, you’ll be more prepared for what you’ll be learning. You’ll also have a better chance of transferring your knowledge to new situations and industries.
You’ll Be Able to Work with a Proficient CCNA or BSc Holder
One of the best things about having a degree in hotel management is that you have a solid foundation to work with. With strong hospitality management skills, you’ll have the ability to work with more experienced staff, either in your current industry or in another hotel.
This is especially helpful if you don’t know anyone within your current industry or if you’re looking to get into another field. It also gives you the opportunity to gain a better understanding of how things work in another industry.
Gain Exposure to a Wide Variety of Career Paths
One of the best parts about a degree in hospitality management is the opportunity to get involved in a huge variety of careers. Through on-the-job learning, you’ll be exposed to a wide variety of industries and get a taste of working in each one.
Whether you like the service aspects of the industry, the operational side of running a business, or the financial side of things, there are many career paths that you can explore with a degree in hospitality management.
Networking for Job Searches and Future Careers
A degree in hospitality management can open many doors for networking and job hunting. While networking can happen at any point in your career, it’s most effective during your job search. With a degree in hospitality management, you’re well on your way to gaining many connections in your industry and in related industries.
This is also a great opportunity to network with hiring managers and recruiters from other companies. Once you’ve found a job and moved into a new field, networking can help you find a place for networking throughout your career. Networking for job searches and future careers can help you find new opportunities and make connections with other industry leaders.
Networking for Confidence and Self-Esteem
A degree in hospitality management can help increase confidence and self-esteem, especially if you choose to get a degree in front desk work. This can be an incredibly challenging field, especially in larger hotels, as guests can be very demanding.
By spending time dealing with difficult guests and challenging situations, you can gain a ton of confidence in dealing with difficult people. You can also use these experiences to build your self-esteem. By becoming more confident in dealing with difficult situations and difficult people, you can also boost your self-esteem.
Help Build Your Career and Earn Advancement After graduation
Many people don’t get the full value out of a hospitality management degree because they assume that they’re finished after graduation. However, there are many ways to use your degree after graduation to build your career, earn more money, and even find new opportunities.
When you graduate, you’ll have the opportunity to enter the job market. With a degree in hospitality management, you can find work in any industry that deals with guests, front desk staff, or hotel operations. With the flexibility to choose where you work, you can also choose to work in a field that offers advancement.
What Do You Need to Get Started?
Before you start your degree, there are a few things that you need to do to get started. You’ll want to make sure that you’re aware of any application deadlines and make sure that you’ve applied to any jobs that you’d like to apply for. Once you’ve done these things, you can start researching universities and schools that offer hospitality management degrees.